Activities » Everyone Can Have Chocolate Cake
Everyone Can Have Chocolate Cake
Did you know that January 27th was National Chocolate Cake Day? I sure didn’t, but I guess if there was ever something to celebrate, than a Chocolate Cake would be it! I love chocolate cake, well really I love all cake, but since we are talking chocolate cake I’ll try to focus on just that variety. I especially love a moist cake covered in decadent frosting. Don’t you?
Even if you missed National Chocolate Cake Day don’t miss other holidays
I’m sure a lot of you figure now that you are Gluten and Casein Free (GFCF) you and your kids can’t enjoy days like National Chocolate Cake Day, but that just isn’t true. There are tons of great ways to enjoy all the festive holidays while staying GFCF. I have been a big fan of King Arthur Gluten Free flour blend and their cake and brownie mixes. This is a national brand so you should be able to find it locally, but if you can’t, I know you can order directly from them or from Amazon. I just happen to love this brand, but you can certainly find other products out there that are also great and meet your dietary needs. Below I am including a copy of the King Arthur Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe that we always use. It is rich and delicious and meets our needs when we want to make a cake at home.
I would also encourage you to call local bakeries and see if any of them offer gluten free baked goods. We have a great little cupcake place down the street from us who also offers gluten free cupcakes in every flavor imaginable – they even make bacon and pancakes cupcakes! Let me just say, YUMMY! We will be using them for Matthew’s upcoming birthday party.
Think Inside the Box
But don’t feel limited to just cakes and cupcakes, think GFCF brownies too. Again, many national brands have fantastic mixes, and doing an internet search for gluten free casein free brownie recipe yielded 29,000 results. So you can see there are a ton of options out there for you. Because we can tolerate some milk in our diet I love to use a Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe I found online years ago, so don’t forget to look for recipes that are just naturally GF.
Being GFCF doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the special fun that days like National Chocolate Cake Day offer for the family, it just means you have to be prepared. I always keep a box of my favorite GFCF flour blend in the pantry along with some xanthan gum and even a container of GFCF icing for those days when I want to whip something up fast. And often I will keep cupcakes in the freezer for those special school parties that inevitably pop up at the last minute.
So just remember National Chocolate Cake Day can be National GFCF Chocolate Cake Day for those of us on the diet. Happy National Chocolate Cake Day!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake - From King Arthur
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend*
1 cup (3 ounces) cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 8" or 9" round pans.
2) In a medium mixing bowl (not the bowl of your stand mixer), whisk together the sugar, multi-purpose flour or brown rice flour blend, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.
3) Place the oil, eggs, water, and vanilla into your mixer bowl, and beat well.
4) Blend in the dry ingredients 1 cup at a time, beating for 1 minute and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition.
5) Once all of the dry ingredients have been added, beat at medium-high speed for 2 minutes, to make a smooth batter.
6) Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
7) Bake the cakes for 30 to 33 minutes, about 3 to 4 minutes past the point where a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. The cakes' internal temperature should be 210°F.
8) Remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn them out of the pans to cool completely on a rack.
Yield: two 8" or 9" round layers.