Biomedical Therapies » Understanding a “Detox Reaction”
Understanding a “Detox Reaction”
“Why do my child’s symptoms get worse instead of better? Does the product really work?”
If your child is experiencing a worsening of symptoms with a detoxification agent, there is a high probability that they are having a detox reaction.
A detox reaction indicates toxins are being removed from the body faster than the main organs of elimination (bowels, liver, and kidneys) can comfortably excrete. This often represents congestion in a bodily system. The excess is removed through the lungs and/or skin resulting in symptoms such as a runny nose, headache, sore throat, cough, skin irritation, sweating, or an exacerbation of preexisting symptoms. This is often unrelated to the detox products efficacy but rather an indication that the remedy, dose, or frequency of dose needs to be adjusted and/or additional organ support is needed.
It is not necessary to experience a detox reaction during detoxification. In fact, this slows down the healing process. Detoxing too quickly in an imbalanced body triggers the release of cortisol from the adrenal glands  . High cortisol levels inhibit the immune response, lead to unstable blood sugars, high histamine, and an imbalance in electrolytes like sodium and potassium. Cortisol must also be broken down and filtered by the liver for the body to eliminate.
An effective way to see if toxins, such as heavy metals, chemicals, lactic acid, and others are leaving the body is by measuring first morning urine pH. If upon awakening, urine pH is in the healthy range of 5.5 - 6.2, we know acidic toxic waste is leaving the body. If the first morning urine pH range is higher than 6.2, this can indicate the body is unable to detoxify efficiently and supporting the main organs of elimination (bowels, liver, kidneys) is recommended .
A Practical Approach to Avoid Detox Reactions and Redistribution of Toxins
If the liver or kidneys are congested, the bowels are not moving efficiently and/or the dose of a detoxifier is too high, more metals will be mobilized than the organs can comfortably excrete. This increases the chance of experiencing a detox reaction and contributes to redistribution.
Here are steps to mitigate detox reactions, the redistribution of toxins and promote balance in the body:
- Support the structure and function of the liver and restore healthy first morning urine pH to 5.5 - 6.2 range with Liver Life.
- Insure hydration and increase liquids to flush toxins. Fresh squeezed lemon juice in water is great for this. For kids make homemade lemonade.
- Move the bowels at least 1-3 times a day.
- Balance chemical detoxifiers with natural binding agents such as NDF or NDF Plus, activated charcoal, bentonite clay, modified citrus pectin.
- Use an appropriate dose of detoxifiers. Begin with a low dose and increase as tolerated. This ensures the correct intake for your child.
- Give constitutional support remedies. Supporting other systems and nutrients may be needed. Consult with your practitioner.
- Look for our next article comparing excretion with natural detoxifiers and chemical detoxifiers.
About the Authors
Stephanie Ray is president and co-founder of BioRay, the natural detox company. Stephanie created several Traditional Chinese & Biological medical clinics in California over a span of 14 years with Dr. Timothy Ray OMD. Stephanie has published several articles; protocol guides and supervises intervention studies on behalf of BioRay.
Tami Wilken is BioRay’s Customer Service Specialist. Actively involved in the research and protocols at BioRay, Tami provides support to families and practitioners with neuro and immune compromised children.
Research on BioRay’s original formulations is conducted on a regular basis to support and educate doctors and their patients.
 T. Ray, Heavy Metal Detox Without A Healing Crisis. 2001 Explore! for the Profes