Nutrition & GF/CF Recipes » Smart Food Combining – Step 5 of “The Wagner Way to Wellnes
Smart Food Combining – Step 5 of “The Wagner Way to Wellnes
Smart Food Combining
In my previous articles it has been established that proper supplementation, eating Gluten and Casein/Dairy free plus eating the correct foods for each individuals body and blood type is very beneficial for anyone with an ASD. Now it also needs to be established that not only do we need to make smart food choices but that it is equally important that these choices be combined correctly too.
Our bodies were not meant to absorb all the different food groups together at the same time. The truth is, each type of food uses different areas, enzymes, and digestive juices for proper and effective digestion, and each has its own time table for transiting through the system. By learning to eat foods in harmonious groupings, we are able to digest correctly, thereby eliminating most digestive and intestinal ailments.
Back To Nature
If you go back to nature, there is no Vegas Buffet. I haven’t found it yet. In the wild if natives eat a banana the body recognizes a banana and knows exactly what to do. There is absolutely no confusion. The same goes for any individual food. But if you combine a banana, steak, potato, popcorn, beer and pizza like we do, our All You Can Eat Buffets, we create total chaos in the body. Remember the body uses different areas, enzymes, digestive juices and has a different transit time for each food group and when you combine all of these groups together all you do is create Helter Skelter, a total war in the body. Your digestive system is saying which area, which enzymes, which digestive juice and they’re all being produced at one time, fighting each other the same as many different armies fighting each other at the same time.
War or Peace
This creates total havoc in the body and we experience, gas, indigestion, heartburn, allergies, constipation, diarrhea, bloat, distention, weight gain and on and on and on. We really should not have any of this. But almost everyone has a little if not a lot of this and figure this is just part of life because everyone else has this too.
Well I have good news, it is not part of a natural living healthy life; it is just that everyone else has the same wrong eating habits. We really don’t know any better. We are taught wrong and served wrong because we have all lost touch of how to eat and combine naturally. If you had a kill or caught fish in the wild, how much bread, potatoes and desserts would be there? Absolutely none! We were not naturally meant to consume all food groups at once. So if you learn smart food combining your body will relax, digest foods correctly and the above mentioned issues would disappear. Combine wrong you will have upset or combine right you will feel great, it’s either war or peace and this correction happens very quickly. It does not take a long time to see a difference.
Two Twelve Hour Cycles
We basically have to twelve hour cycles of digestion. While we sleep and in the morning technically our bodies are detoxifying, cleansing and rejuvenating and technically in the late morning, afternoon and evening we are nourishing and building our bodies. We cleanse, we build, we cleanse, we build, that is our daily routine.
Breakfast is really break-fast. The body has been fasting for 5 or more hours and the best way to break this fast is with a hot glass of water with ¼ to ½ of squeezed lemon that can be drank straight down. The hot water will stimulate the elimination system and reboot the digestion system. The lemon breaks up the mucus everyone discharges at night.
During sleep a lot of activity is going on. It is important to get a good night’s sleep. Eight hours of sleep is recommended but at least 6 hours is mandatory otherwise the body will not finish its cleansing cycle and will feel out of sorts. During the morning hours the body is supposed to continue cleansing and releasing what it has detoxed the night before.
Fruit the Cleanser
Fruit are your cleansing foods and the best food choice for the morning. Most people don’t realize fruit is a complete food with a perfect balance of protein and starches already broken down into amino acids and simple sugars. Fruit will digest within 15 minutes to an hour. It is already broken down, is easy on the system and eases the body back into digestion.
Fruit is broken down into 4 categories: melons, acid, sub-acid and sweet/alkaline:
1. Melons you eat alone or leave alone. They digest in 15 minutes while all other fruits take an hour. So never eat melons with anything else (Including other fruit) or after a meal otherwise the fruit will be held back and cause fermentation. So have a melon meal, wait 30 minutes, and then you can go to any other food group.
2. Acid fruit: such as pineapple, oranges and strawberries are best eaten together in their own group. They all digest the same so again no confusion. They can be fairly combined with sub-acid fruit. This combination is not great but is OK, but never combine acid fruits with sweet/alkaline fruit such as strawberries with bananas. A very popular mixture but an intestinal nightmare. So eat acid fruit, wait 60 minutes, and then you can go to any other food group including the sweet/alkaline fruit.
3. Sub-Acid fruits: such as apple, pear, peaches, plumes and grapes are best eaten together in their own group. They all digest the same so again no confusion. They can be fairly combined with either acid fruit or sweet/alkaline fruit. Again this is not great but OK. So eat sub-acid fruit, wait 60 minutes, and then you can go to any other food group.
4. Sweet/Alkaline fruits: such as bananas, dates, figs, prunes and dried fruit are best eaten together in their own group. They all digest the same so again no confusion. They can be fairly combined with sub-acid fruit. This combination is not great but is OK, but never combine sweet/alkaline fruit with acid fruit such as bananas with strawberries. A very popular mixture but an intestinal nightmare. So eat sweet/alkaline fruit, wait 60 minutes, and then you can go to any other food group including the acid fruit.
Late morning, afternoon and evening the body is in a building/nourishing cycle. Vegetables, starches, pulses (beans & legumes) and protein are your building foods. They are much harder on the body and take much longer to digest. Vegetables take three hours, starches 4 hours, pulses 4-5 hours and protein 5 hours for proper digestion. Because these foods take so long to digest and fruit needs to go through the body quickly, within one hour, the rule is never mix fruit with any other food group.
So never have fruit with eggs, on cereal, on salads, as a dessert for a vegetable, starch or protein meal or a snack a few hours after another food group. In order to have a fruit after another food group, a person has to wait until those other food groups have completed their digestion, otherwise there will be fermentation. Wait three hours after vegetables, 4 hours after starches, 4-5 hours after pulses and five hours after protein, then fruit can once again be tolerated and digest properly.
You can eat fruit all day long if you wish with no issues, but once you switch to the building/nourishing cycle and another food group you have to be careful returning to fruit.
Once you switch to the building/nourishing cycle you can have vegetables all day long. With the vegetables you can add either a protein, a starchy vegetable/grain or starchy pulse, but what you don’t want to do is mix protein and starches together, the world’s primary diet. Meat and potatoes, chicken and rice, fish and chips, eggs and toast, spaghetti and meat balls, every sandwich, milk on cereal, tofu on rice and sushi. Almost every time we eat we are combining incorrectly causing poor digestion, acid reflux, mucus, congestion, weight retention, bloating and constipation which leads to impacting of our colons creating a breeding ground for disease auto-intoxicating ourselves. I feel this is the primary cause of most of our ailments. Correct our eating habits and we will eliminate many if not most of our health issues.
Protocol for Vegetable, Starch and Protein Digestion
1. Non Starchy Vegetables and Non-Starchy Pulses: such as spinach, broccoli, asparagus, green beans and fresh peas which can be eaten with starchy vegetables, starchy pulses, proteins, fats and oils.
2. Starchy Vegetables, Grains and Carbohydrates: such as potatoes, corn, carrots, rice, quinoa and millet which digest best with non-starchy vegetables and non-starchy pulses, good with fats and oils and fair with starchy pulses. They should never be eaten with protein. Starches, grains and carbohydrates digest in the mouth and small intestines and use alkaline juices and the salivary enzyme amylase to digest. Protein digests in the stomach and uses acids and the enzyme pepsin to digest. Two totally different processes that can’t be done properly at the same time.
3. Starchy Pulses (Beans & Legumes): such as kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans and lentils which digest best with non-starchy vegetables and non-starchy pulses, good with fats and oils and fair with starchy vegetables, grains and carbohydrates. They should never be eaten with proteins for the same reason as starchy vegetables, grains and carbs.
4. Protein (Flesh, Fats and Pulses): such as red meat, poultry, seafood, nuts, seeds, eggs, soy and tofu which digest best with non-starchy vegetables and non-starchy pulses and fair with fats and oils (except olive and grapeseed oil). They should never be eaten with starchy vegetables, grains, carbohydrates and starchy pulses. Protein digests in the stomach with acids and the enzyme pepsin and starches, grains and carbs digest in the mouth and small intestines in alkaline juices and uses the enzyme amylase to digest. Two totally different processes that can’t be done properly at the same time. Also it is best to not mix proteins. They each digest a little differently. So don’t have steak and lobster, chicken and salmon or tofu with turkey. Try to choose one protein for each meal. Your digestion will be much better.
Summary: Keep It Simple
I know this can seem to be overwhelming at first but actually it is very simple.
• Have fruit or fruit smoothie for breakfast and eat fruit alone
• Have a salad and veggies with a starch or a salad and veggies with a protein for lunch and dinner, but never mix the starch and protein together.
Keep it that simple. We are all creatures of habit we just have to learn a few new recipes and combinations and once we do, these new recipes and combinations will be easy and become your habit and norm. My new cook book, Cook Smart Cook Simple, will be out shortly and will have lots of delicious, easy to make recipes, sandwiches, snacks and desserts properly food combined and blood typed to make things easy and give you great ideas on meal planning.
We Have a Choice
Eat correctly, you will be healthier or eat incorrectly, you will have health issues or at least not be at your best. So we have a choice, to continue to make poor food choices and poor food combinations, creating poor digestion and poor health or to make smart food choices using smart food combining creating good digestion, good health and being slim, trim, fit, energized, full of vitality and our best at all times.
Over the 4 decades that I have been practicing and teaching this format of eating to my many clients, most have expressed they have experienced an abundance of improved health and relief of 90% or better of the majority of their health issues.
Everyone Hates Rules
I know everyone hate rules or to be told what to do, to be asked to give up many of their favorite fun foods and change the way they have been eating their entire life, but we really need to step back and take a look at the state of our nation’s health for everyone. The United States has become the sickest nation in the world. What we are doing is not working. Each generation is getting worst. We have the most obesity, illness, disease, with cancer now rivaling heart attacks as our #1 killer.
Jenny asked me to address this so we can now take a look at our families as a whole. Not only do we need to take care of our children with autism but we need to take care of every member of the family. All our children and especially the parents, so everyone is healthy, nourished well and have the energy and strength to cope with the stress that comes with having a family member with autism.
By eating and combining correctly everyone's body will function at its best and everyone will see some wonderful immediate results as well as long term good health benefits, not only for our autistic children but for the entire family also, minimizing many illnesses and diseases. Smart food choices and smart food combining is really the missing link, the final pieces of the good health puzzle.
Immediately all family members should see relief of gas, indigestion, acid reflux, allergies, sinus problems, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, fatigue, mood swings, insomnia, weight gain and food intolerances. In addition, they should be rewarded with better health, increased energy, a trim body, improved sleep, better mental awareness, good focus, an overall state of well-being and vitality plus everyone will continuously maintain this great wellness if they stick to this healthful way of consuming.
This article is an overview. If you are interested in pursuing this way of dining further, please consider reading my books Eat Smart Eat Simple which explains much more thoroughly the philosophy behind eating foods according to your body and blood type and a complete explanation of food combining, how digestion works and a detailed breakdown of every combination of food combining. Plus my Guide to Smart Food Choices that gives you a complete list of all food groups for all blood types including a family guide Type All that lists only the foods that are good for everyone. There is also a food combining chart for each blood type included. My clients refer to this book as their Food Bible and are never found without it.
Knowledge is Power.
When you understand how the body works you are more apt to give it a try. This is the meal plan I follow and Jenny has been following with great success for over ten years. I just suggest you try it for a month and you will see a difference. Start slowly and work on one meal at a time, but eventually you need to do it completely if you want an honest evaluation. If you do it half way you will not get your best results. Good Luck and Good Health but remember to keep it simple. You can get more creative after you learn the protocols.
About the Author:
Dr. Bo Wagner holds a Doctor of Natural Medicine, a Doctor of Naturopathy, a Ph.D. & Diplomate in Clinical Nutrition, is Board Certified in Integrative Medicine, a Fellow of the American Association of Integrative Medicine and a former Dean of Internal Wellness & Professor of Functional Medicine and currently serves as an Adjunct Faculty member at the University of Natural Medicine. Visit:www.drbo.com for more information and resources, and connect with Dr. Bo on Facebook and Twitter.
*These statements in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your physician if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or have a medical condition before beginning supplementation. Information contained in this bulletin is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician.