Tackle Summer with confidence! Check out our safety tips for a fun, healthy summer the whole family can enjoy.
- Be sure to pack a lifejacket and other floatation devices.
- Make sure your child has a tracking device (such an identification bracelet).
- Make sure there is a lifeguard or adult on-watch at all times and notify them to keep an extra eye-out for your child.
- Make sure your child knows how to swim, or has an adult with him in the water at all times.
- If you have a pool, make sure it is secured with a gate or fence to ensure that your child does not go in unattended.
- Consider swim lessons for your child with an experienced instructor.
- To learn more about wandering prevention, visit: AWAARE or AutismSafety.org.
STAYING NON-TOXIC THIS SUMMER
- Sun safety is very important for preventing sunburn and long-term sun effects, like skin cancer. Make sure your sunscreen is hypoallergenic, chemical-free, and playground safe with a strong SPF.
- Pack non-toxic insect repellant to avoid pesky bugs.
- Be sure to read the labels on the products you buy, make sure they are free of harmful chemicals, such as phthalates, parabens, and synthetic fragrances.
- Check the EWG’s Sunscreen Guide for non-toxic brands free of those pesky chemicals
- Dehydration is very common during summer. Make sure you always have water on hand to avoid dehydrating.
- Pack light, cool clothing, with a change of clothes if you plan to play in the water.
Wishing you a summer full of fun!