Treatments to Explore
Conventional medicine treats the symptoms of autism. Biomedical treatment addresses the root cause.
There is a wealth of biomedical therapies that treat the underlying issues of autism inside the body.
The following is a list of biomedical treatments to explore with a physician in order to help heal the body:
1. Follow the gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free diet and remove other food allergens.
The yeast-autism connection can be a result of candida (type of yeast) overgrowth in the system. This leads to many different behaviors such as, fogginess, sensory issues, negative behaviors.
“Gluten and Dairy seem to affect a lot of our children with autism and thus we see a lot of children respond terrifically when these are removed from the diet. The goal behind changing diets is to remove chemicals, toxins and potential neurotransmitters, which are liberated when food are broken down. These substances could be toxic for the brain and cause behavioral trouble in kids who are sensitive. Whether kids test as allergic or not, often they are causing a negative effect on the child and they must be removed. Each child has his or her own set of sensitivities that he or she can’t deal with properly. When we change their diets, 80 percent of the kids with autism seem to respond.” - Dr. Jerry Kartzinel, from “Healing and Preventing Autism” by Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jerry Kartzinel.
- Effectiveness of the gluten-free, casein-free diet for children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder: based on parental report.
- Nutrition Guide and how to implement the GFCF diet;
- The role of Clostridia and Autism
- The Yeast Problem and Bacteria By-products
- Improved Diet Helps Children with Autism
2. Help the gut heal with:
- Antivirals: “Look into testing for viruses that can cause low-grade chronic infections: Herpes I, II and VI: Ask for the IgG antibody to these viruses Epstein-Barr: EBV panel Cytomegalo Virus: CMV panel.” – Dr. Jerry Kartzinel, from “ Healing and Preventing Autism” by Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jerry Kartzinel.
3. Increase nutrient levels through vitamin and mineral supplements including: quality multi-vitamins and multi-minerals, high-dose B6, magnesium, fish oils and fatty acids, amino acids, melatonin, sulfation, glutathione, and natural detoxifiers.
4. Remove metals and toxins from the body through:
- Anti-yeast protocols
5. Identify allergens/inflammation which can result from an improperly regulated immune system. The two categories to further research are; IgG-sensitivity (results in behaviors-delayed or immediate) and IgE-typical (runny nose, itchy, anaphylactic shock).
6. Investigate PANDAS, which is an abbreviation for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections. This term is used to describe an autoimmune disorder that affects children with ASD that also have symptoms such as OCD, tics, etc.
- Simplified Evaluation and Treatment of Autism Using Biomarker Directed Algorithms©
- Microbes Manipulate Your Mind - Bacteria in your gut may be influencing your thoughts and moods.
- Neuroinflammation and psychiatric illness
7. Conduct further medical testing to look into food sensitivities, OAT (Organic Acid Test), Urine Heavy Metals, Red Blood Cell Elements, and comprehensive stool testing with parasitology.
- Immunodeficiency, Gastrointestinal Candidiasis, Wheat and Dairy Sensitivity, Abnormal Urine Arabinose, and Autism: A Case Study
Additional Treatments to Explore:
- The Medical Academy of Pediatric Special Needs (MAPS) has been developing an ASD Fellowship for physicians and other medical professionals. Under the guidance of Daniel Rossignol MD FAAFP, and David Berger MD FAAP, this evidence-based course of study has been uniquely designed by clinicians, for clinicians.
- Dr. Amy Yasko’s protocol, Holistic Health International, helps families (and practitioners) address ailments via a comprehensive approach, featuring:
- Nutrigenomic testing to locate genetic areas needing support
- Individualized recomendations for nutraceuticals
- Biochemical testing to track the healing process
- Information products for understanding safe ways to detox and rebuild capacity
- Community of caring and information sharing
When applied in conjunction with biomedical treatment, certain traditional therapies have been shown to support progress for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Some Traditional Therapies Include:
- Early Intervention Programs
- Applied Behavior Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Social Skills Therapy
- Relationship Development Intervention
- Sensory Integration
- Music Therapy
- Auditory Integration Therapy
- Craniosacral Therapy