Team GR: During the holidays, there’s always a tendency to cave into temptation and eat all of the sweets, but not all sweets are gluten free desserts. With the help of these GFCF recipes from Enjoy Life Foods, you can treat your sweet tooth guilt-free!
Iced Hot Chocolate
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 c. dairy free milk
- 1 bag Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips, divided
- 6 Enjoy Life Foods Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies
- 1 t. flavorless oil (i.e. sunflower seed or safflower)
- Measure 1 cup Mini Chips into a medium saucepan. Pour the remaining chips into a small heat-proof bowl.
- Pour the dairy free milk over the Mini Chips and turn heat to low. Whisk, occasionally, until chocolate is totally melted and incorporated into the milk. Remove from heat and pour into glass jar. Cool on counter for about an hour and then refrigerate at least 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, crush the Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies in a small food processor until you have cookie crumbs. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Add the sunflower seed oil into the bowl of reserved Mini Chips. Microwave at 30 second intervals until just melted. Cool about 30 minutes.
- Rim the glasses with the chocolate by turning the top lip into the melted chocolate so you have about ½ an inch of chocolate on the top. Blow on it a little to help set the chocolate and then gently roll in the crushed cookies. Store glasses in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add ice, pour the chilled hot chocolate into the glass, add a cute straw and enjoy one of our favorite gluten free desserts!
Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients (Makes 1-10” pie)
- 1 box Enjoy Life Foods Soft Baked Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 3 T. vegan margarine, cut into cubes
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 c. dairy free milk
- 1 T. vegan margarine, melted
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. arrowroot starch
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 T. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ t. salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crumble the Snickerdoodle Cookies into the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse into fine crumbs.
- Add the cubes of margarine and the brown sugar and process until well mixed.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9” or 10” pie pan. Bake at 350 for 7 minutes or until fragrant.
- While the crust is baking make the filling by whisking everything together in one bowl. Pour into the par-baked crust, making sure to leave about ¼” height difference between the filling and the top of the crust on the edge.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes until filling is set and edges of crust are golden brown.
- Cool completely. Best served same day as baking- although crust can be parbaked ahead of time!
Enjoy Life Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients (Makes about 3 dozen cookies)
- 2/3 C. shortening
- 1 T. neutral oil
- 1 C. packed brown sugar
- ½ C. granulated sugar
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1/3 C. water
- 2 ¼ C. gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. xanthan gum
- 1 ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. baking powder
- 1 bag Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F.
- Cream shortening oil and sugars in a mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla and water. Mix until just combined.
- Combine gluten-free flour, salt, xanthan gum, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture and mix until smooth.
- Mix in Mini Chips and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet and slightly press down on each cookie to flatten.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 15-20 minutes and serve one of the best gluten free desserts!
Sunseed Butter Blossoms
Ingredients (18 cookies)
- 1 bag Enjoy Life Winter Chocolate Minis
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C. sunflower seed spread
- 1/2 C. vegan margarine, softened
- 1 flax egg (1 T. flax meal + 3 T. hot water)
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C. gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 C. additional granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unwrap the 18 Winter Chocolate Minis and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, sunseed butter and vegan margarine. Cream with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the gluten-free flour blend, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the sunseed spread mixture and mix until blended.
- Form into 2 T. size balls and roll. Gently roll in the additional granulated sugar and place on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes and as soon as they come out place the unwrapped Winter Chocolate Minis on top.
- Let set for 2 hours.
Chocolate Dipped Buckwheat Cookies, one of our fav gluten free desserts
Ingredients (Makes 20-24 cookies)
- 1 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 c. buckwheat flour
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. baking powder
- 1 c. vegan margarine
- 2/3 c. powdered sugar
- 2 t. vanilla extract
Chocolate and Toppings
- 1c. Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1 t. flavorless oil
- ½ c. cacao nibs
- 2 T. poppyseeds
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground. Add the buckwheat flour, salt and baking powder and pulse until combined.
- Whip together the vegan margarine and powdered sugar in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the flour in two additions, mixing until combined. Divide into two balls, flatten into disks, wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake: preheat oven to 350. Remove the disks from the refrigerator and allow to soften slightly for about 20 minutes on the counter.
- Roll into a square shape about ¼ inch thick and cut into square cookies. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes until just lightly golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling melt the chocolate and the oil either in a double boiler or in the microwave for 30 second intervals.
- One by one dip half the cookie, at an angle, into the chocolate. Lay back on the parchment paper and then sprinkle with some of the cacao nibs and the poppyseeds. Finish with the rest of the cookies then place in the refrigerator to set for one of our favorite gluten free desserts!
Bonus: Breakfast Ovals
Gluten free desserts are amazing, but do the holidays get a little crazy and you don’t always have time for breakfast? We recommend Breakfast Ovals. an on-the-go oval designed to deliver simplicity during hectic mornings. Breakfast Ovals are a delicious allergy friendly morning snack loaded with more than 20 grams of whole grains per serving and 12 percent of the recommended daily value of fiber. Our favorite flavor is Chocolate Chip Banana!