Coromega is a brand and manufacturer of emulsified fish oil based in the San Diego, California, and dedicated to adults and families with children on the Autism Spectrum. As a cause partner of Generation Rescue, they donate a portion of sales annually to Generation Rescue to support programs that helps families and kids nationally with autism. Here, omega-3 advocate and fitness enthusiast, Aubrey Johnson, provides information about fish oil, fish oil benefits, and kids both with and without autism, in concert with Coromega’s clinical nutrition advisor Dr. Doug Bibus, MS PhD.
Many of us have heard of the amazing health benefits of omega-3s, but have you heard how beneficial they are for your kiddos? Kids on and off the autism spectrum can benefit tremendously from increasing their omega-3 intake.
When we think of omega-3 fatty acids, we usually think of fatty fish like sardines, anchovies and salmon, which are full of these health-boosting omega-3 fats. Kids aren’t typically attracted to foods that are full of these healthy fats, so we at Coromega have created a fun and effective alternative to both these and fish oil pills – our
—Coromega Kids Omega-3 Squeeze and Kids DHA Omega 3 Gummy Fruits.
The top three benefits of omega-3s for children:
1. The development of a healthy Body and Brain; both which need lots of omega -3s during development.*
2. A healthy immune system with Omega -3s to balance inflammation*
3. A healthy psychological status*
Leading omega-3 researcher, Dr. Doug Bibus, MS, PhD, and scientific advisory board member at Coromega explains why kids benefit from consuming omega-3s: “Childhood is a period of brain growth and maturation. The long chain omega-3 fatty acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), is a major lipid in the brain recognized as essential for normal brain function.”
He explains that animals with low brain DHA results in impaired learning and behavior. In infants, DHA is important for optimal visual and cognitive development. The usual intake of DHA among toddlers and children is low and some studies show improvements in cognition and behavior as the result of supplementation with polyunsaturated fatty acids including DHA.
According to Dr. Bibus, studies of brain activity have reported benefits of DHA supplementation and over half of the studies reported a favorable role for DHA or long chain omega-3 fatty acids in at least one area of cognition or behavior. Studies also suggested an important role for DHA in school performance.
Dr. Bibus also noted from his studies that omega-3s can also help manage kids on the autism spectrum, as well as reducing symptoms of ADHD, nutrient deficits, and can even improve the health of the child when the mother consumes enough omega-3s during pregnancy.
“Adding an omega-3 supplement provides the essential fatty acids to help cell membranes protect the body from bacteria and viruses, plus have shown to positively affect mood and concentration,” said Dr. Bibus.
At Coromega, we’re especially close to the Autism community with some members of our team with children on the spectrum. We took extra care designing out products for kids with autism. Our fish oil blend is strong in both DHA and EPA. The oil used in Coromega comes from wild, cold-water fish (sardines and anchovies), and then then undergoes molecular distillation, which removes toxins, heavy metals and PCBs:
- Clinically proven more effective – 300% better absorption than softgels *
- Not a Pill – Our emulsified formula avoids the choking hazard of pills, even chewable pills. Simply open and squeeze directly for a fun treat.
- Especially enjoyable to take - Easy & tasty for children who have issues with food textures.
- Full dose in 1 squeeze – This is easier than taking multiple pills, and provides the a full recommended 650 mg of combined DHA and EPA omega -3s
- Kid-Friendly Packaging – Our cute ‘tiger’ packaging makes our Omega-3 more fun.
- No fish burps - Our emulsified technology makes fish oil easier to digest, meaning fewer fish burps and aftertaste.
- It’s Safe & Pure– We us wild caught, deep water fish & made in our own 3rd party facility, so we have direct control over the quality of our production
- Also available in lower concentration Gummy form for children who prefer it
To learn more or purchase Coromega, please see us at www.coromega.com.
We’re personally dedicated to kids – on and off the spectrum— and always inviting the feedback from DAN doctors and families with autism. For every family, the decision on foods and supplements is a personal one. We hope we’ve added to that in a helpful way.
J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:1076-1081 * Current GOED Voluntary Monograph vs. Coromega fish oil purity testing
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Learn more at http://www.coromega.com/